Kitchen Electrical Safety | Bates Electric

Kitchen Electrical Safety

bateselectric34508457

We use our kitchens constantly to cook and clean. The kitchen contains some of the home’s most important electrical appliances, like stoves and dishwashers. However, kitchens don’t only house electrical appliances, but also appliances like sinks which use water. This can create a deadly combination. This article will highlight some kitchen electrical safety tips that you should keep in mind to help prevent possible damages and injuries from occurring.

Kitchen Electrical Safety Tips

Watch the Water Near Electrical Outlets

As mentioned above, some kitchen appliances will use water. Kitchens need water for you prepare and cook certain foods, as well as wash dishes. Water and electric don’t mix, so water that ends up getting near an outlet or electrical appliance could lead to electrical shocks. Be sure to be careful when using water near an outlet and other electrical devices.

Keep an Eye on Your Appliances

Kitchens have many devices in one area. These include dishwashers, ovens, stoves, and microwaves. You want to check them now and then to make sure they are still working properly, and their wiring is safely hidden and plugged in. You also want to occasionally clean your appliances, especially if there’s a food leak that occurs in it. If this mess isn’t cleaned up, it could lead to fires.

Check the Cables

Besides checking to making sure the appliances’ cables are securely plugged in, you also want to ensure they don’t overheat. If the wires are starting to get a little warm that could indicate that there’s a problem with the electrical connection which is causing the cable to overheat. If you don’t unplug the cable when it’s warm, it could eventually start to get dangerously hot and catch on fire or cause an electrical shock.

You also want to make sure not to use many cables in one outlet. This could lead to overheating in the outlet which could end up destroying the cable.

Unplug Appliances When You’re Done Using Them

Whenever you’re done using electrical appliances, such as a toaster, be sure to unplug it. Keeping the cable plugged in for appliances like this could end up generating more electrical energy which can not only increase your electric bill but can cause electrical sparks and voltage buildup in the machine.

These are just some kitchen electrical safety tips to keep in mind. It’s always important to keep a close eye on electrical appliances in your kitchen to help prevent fires and electrical shocks from occurring.